Today I wanted to take some time to lay out the 10 mistakes that I see homebuyers making:
1. Not understanding market trends. You’ve heard that the market is doing well lately, but technically it’s always doing well. The question is—is it good for you? As a Realtor, I can help you understand the market and determine if it’s working in your favor.
2. Forgetting about the costs involved in buying a home. The price tag on the home isn’t the only cost you’ll run into. I will go over all the other costs involved with you so that you know that you’re ready to buy a home.
3. Not getting approved for a home loan.You don’t want to put the cart before the horse—you have to know exactly what you’re comfortable with price-wise in order to create an offer. It’s also good to work with lenders that are local. They hold a bit more ground than online banks.
4. Not budgeting properly for your monthly payment. It’s not the goal to become house poor. It’s my job as your buyer’s agent to remind you of where you stand within your comfort level and not move into a price range that you may not be able to afford in monthly payments.
5. Falling in love with a house. You can’t fall in love with a home until you actually pay for it. Take the time to see the home in person and really make a decision with a clear head.
6. Not considering home resale value. If you’re looking at five-year home and this isn’t the home you’ll stay in for the rest of your life, make sure that you’re going to be able to get out what you put into it.
7. Skipping the home inspection. Even if the home is as-is, you want to get that inspection right off so that you can make sure that you’re buying a sound home. You also should make sure that you’re using a solid, reputable inspector to look at your potential new home.
8. Trusting verbal agreements. Use your Realtor to discuss everything with the seller, and make sure that you get it in writing. Make sure that you’re protecting yourself in the off-chance that something about the deal goes sour.
9. Blindly following someone else’s advice, or listening to everyone when you’re the one buying the home. You should listen to your Realtor and anyone else’s opinion that you may value, but in the end, you’re buying the home. Make sure this decision is right for you.
10. Not calling Shawna’s Home Team! Make sure you’re working with great Realtors. If you work with us, we’re gonna be there for you. We work really hard day in and day out to provide an incredible service to our clients and get you into the home of your dreams.
If you can avoid these 10 things, then you’re guaranteed to have a better home buying experience. If you have any additional questions about the home buying process or you’re looking to buy or sell a home, please give me a call. I’d be happy to help!